Pages

22 September 2017

Poisien Restaurant: Searching for the Pumpkin Lady

One of the worst things you can do when visiting Thailand is not doing your homework on the best places to eat. As fantastic as Thai cuisine is, not all restaurants or food stalls serve delicious Thai food. 

I have been to Thailand several times without doing any research, and I wasn’t exactly overwhelmed by the food I ate. So prior to my last visit 3 months ago, I checked out Mark Wien’s Thai food blog. I decided to go to one of his favourite restaurants in Bangkok called Poisien, also known as the Pumpkin Lady Restaurant.




First of all, the location. You can find it on Google Maps but it’s not where Google Maps say it is. I went searching for this restaurant at night and it’s definitely located in the quiet alley of Soi Ratchawithi 6, about 100m further in from the restaurant icon on the map and on the left side of the alley. See the blue dot in the picture below for the actual location of Poisien.


The blue dot is where Poisien is really located.

This is how Poisien Restaurant looks like from the outside:


Outside Poisien Restaurant

We were the only foreigners there.

Having found the restaurant, it was time to order. I had to rely on Mark Wien’s advice, so I ordered:
1. Gaeng keow waan gai (green curry)
2. Panang gai (red chicken curry with coconut cream)
3. Tao hoo song kreung (mixed tofu)

I told the uncle who was taking my order “mai phet” because my friend couldn’t eat spicy food.

Gaeng keow waan gai (green curry)

The green curry was very good. It was rich, creamy, neither too sweet nor too salty. The chicken was tender.

Rating: 8/10.

Gaeng keow waan gai (green curry)


Panang gai (red chicken curry with coconut cream)
                                                                                                                       
Not as good as the green variety, but still good nevertheless. I thought the curry was a little on the watery side. The chicken was well-cooked and tasty.

Rating: 7/10.

Panang gai (red chicken curry with coconut cream)


Tao hoo song kreung (mixed tofu)

I absolutely loved this dish. Everything in this dish was close to perfection. The tofu had a very smooth, soft centre. The vegetables were stir-fried for just the right amount of time, leaving them crunchy and yet properly cooked. Best of all, the minced pork and the sauce. Succulent meat in flavourful sauce. Delicious.   

Rating: 9/10.

Tao hoo song kreung (mixed tofu)


Just when I thought things can’t get any better, I was handed a piece of receipt that showed the price of the three dishes and a plate of rice: 190 baht (US$5.80). Simply amazing…

A true bargain.

Tips / Lessons Learned:
1. Do your homework on the best places to eat. It’s well worth your time and effort.
2. Don’t miss Poisien Restaurant if you’re in Bangkok. The food is delicious and yet unbelievably cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment