Pages

19 August 2017

Hat Yai to Bangkok Train

Seater or Sleeper?

Travelling by train from Singapore to Bangkok is one of those epic journeys that I’ve always wanted to take. Thankfully, I’ve done it once in Dec 2015 when I took the train from Johor Bahru (it still counts!) all the way to Bangkok.

I did it again in June 2017, although by bus from Singapore to Hat Yai, and by train from Hat Yai to Bangkok.

I arrived in Hat Yai on a Thursday morning and went straight to the train station to buy 2nd class overnight sleeper tickets (there were 3 of us), as I had planned to continue my journey to Bangkok on Friday evening. Well, as you have guessed, the 2nd class overnight sleepers (train nos. 32 & 38) were sold out.

So I instinctively bought the air-conditioned overnight seaters on train no. 42. Not very clever…

Sleepers on train 38 cost 835 / 905 baht for a upper / lower bed. Seaters on train 42 cost 705 baht.

This is the picture on the internet for train 42.


This is the reality on train 42.


Food is provided on this train but do you seriously want to eat this? That’s stir-fried baby clams on the left and fried chicken with basil leaves on the right.

Thai food is great but not this one.

The sleeper doesn’t come with a meal and costs 200 baht more, but the gulf in comfort is something you will not want to find out for yourself. OK, train 42 takes two hours less in travel time but the sleeper was way better from my experience two years ago.

Nice comfy bed for 200 baht more. It’s a no-brainer.

Alternatively, you can take your chances with 2nd or 3rd class seats on trains 170 or 172, but I don’t think they’re air-conditioned.

Tips / Lessons Learned:
Do not take train no. 42. Take the 2nd class overnight sleeper instead.

Book your tickets, guys…. Spend a few minutes to check the train schedule and fares on the official State Railway of Thailand (SRT) website. This will either save you money or a not-so-good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment